Wednesday 25 November 2009

Calls to Palm Pre Going Straight to Voicemail/Unable to send SMS

This is a problem I experienced early on in my use of the Palm. Here is a posting on the (spit) O2 forum that I just sent in to explain what was happening.


I think I may have identified the issue.

I suspect the voicemail/SMS issue is happening because the phone is trying to synchronise with your e-mail accounts as set up on your phone.

There is a section in the Palm Pre user guide (for O2) called "Use another application while on a call" (see page 52).

It basically implies that if you are using a GPRS network (the G icon appears in the top right hand corner of your phone) then there are certain types of applications that cannot be used when you are on a call/attempting to make a call or someone is trying to call you. One of the apps mentioned is e-mail! To be able to make/take calls AND use e-mail you need to be on a Wi-Fi network or on a 3G network.

I tested this this morning. I manually synch'd with my e-mail accounts. At the same time I placed a call to my phone. And guess what - straight to voicemail.

I haven't had as much problems with this issue since I reduced my synch time from 15 minutes to 6 hours. If you are mobile and need constant updates from your e-mail account you may continue to have problems unless you are on 3G and/or have a Wi-Fi connection.

No comments: